Workout Routines to Build Muscle Fast
November 20, 2012
Finding the perfect workout routine can be difficult and costly. Personal trainers can tailor routines for your unique needs, but they usually come at a high cost.
Despite the financial toll, many frustrated gym-goers are turning to personal trainers. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the fitness training field to grow by 24 percent in the years 2010-2020.
However, hitting a fitness plateau doesn’t mean that you have to spend the extra time and money on a personal trainer. Below you will find the best tips and workout routines to build muscle fast.
Words to Remember Before Hitting the Gym
What Exercises & How Much
The key to building muscle fast is choosing the right exercises, number of sets, and repetitions. In general, each major muscle group should be trained once a week. The exception: abdominals. Because the abs are needed for the stability and support of your entire body, they should be trained twice a week.
Workout routines to build muscle fast should be based on compound movements with heavy free weights. Using machines stunt your muscle growth by isolating muscles and forcing you to spend more time at the gym.
Remember that variety is an essential component of workout routines to build muscle fast. As you’ll see in the routines below, the set ranges vary as do the reps for each body part. The weight should be increased on each consecutive set as the reps decrease.
For example, you may do your first set of bench press with 135lbs. for 12 repetitions, followed by a set of 155lbs. for 10 reps, and finally 175lbs for 8 reps. Take at least 90 seconds in between sets to rest and drink lots of water.
Don’t get caught up thinking more is better. Even when you’re looking for workout routines to build muscle fast, your body needs to rest. Without recuperation time, your body cannot repair damaged tissues or build new muscle mass. Make the most of your recuperation time by optimizing your diet with healthy food and supplements to fill in any nutritional gaps.
Workout Routine for Quick Muscle Growth
The following workout routine is a perfect blend of intense training and recuperation to build muscle fast. This is the same routine I recommend for my clients for quick muscle growth. Follow this routine for 12 weeks to pack on lean body mass.
- Flat bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Incline Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Bar Dips: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Fly: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lat Pull Downs: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Row: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Single Arm Dumbbell (D.B.). Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Take a day to let your muscles recover and rest so you’ll be pumped up for your next workout.
- Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lateral Raise with D.B.’s: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Upright Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Bent D.B. Rear Delt Flies: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Calf Raise 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Calf Raise on Leg Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 12-20 reps
- Leg Press: 3 sets of 10-16 reps
- Hack Squat: 3 sets of 10-16
- Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 4 sets of 10-16
- Hamstring Curls: 4 sets of 10-16
- D.B. Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Triceps Extensions with Bar: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- French Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Kickbacks: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
After an intense week, take a break and let your body prepare itself for another great week!