Many testosterone boosting supplements contain an ingredient called Testofen. This standardized fenugreek extract is made by Gencor, an herbal ingredient manufacturer.
Commonly used in Indian remedies, fenugreek contains nearly 100 natural chemicals. All those components make fenugreek an herbal treatment for dozens of conditions, including all of the following:
- Appetite control
- Stomach issues
- Hard arteries
- High cholesterol
- Irregular blood sugar
Recent research also links certain fenugreek chemicals with increased testosterone. These chemicals, known as saponins, are Testofen’s active components.
But, these saponins affect more than just testosterone levels. Testofen’s multiple positive effects are discussed below.
-  WebMD. “Fenugreek.”
-  South, James. “Testosterone and Andropause.” Complementary Prescriptions. CPMedical.net.
-  Healthwise. “Testosterone.” WebMD Medical Reference. 2010 Apr 21.
-  Wankhede et al. Effect of Testofen on safety, anabolic activity and factors affecting exercise physiology 2006. To be published.
-  Mayo Clinic: Mayo Medical Laboratories. “Test ID: TTFB. Testosterone, Total, Bioavailable, and Free, Serum.” MayoMedicalLaboratories.com.
-  Steels, E, A Rao, and L Vitetta. “Physiological Aspects of Male Libido Enhanced by Standardized Trigonella foenum-graecum Extract and Mineral Formulation.” Phytotherapy Research. 2011 Feb 10. Epub.
-  Zelman, Kathleen M. “The Truth About Beer and Your Belly.” WebMD. 2010.