We Have The Answers You're Looking For

Need Answers?
Check out our FAQs page
Returning Items
See returning instructions

Saw Palmetto Side Effects in Men

Are They Good or Bad?

Natural supplements for prostate health often include an ingredient called saw palmetto. Saw palmetto contains compounds that prevent testosterone from becoming DHT, a hormone related to enlarged prostate and male pattern baldness.[1] Consequently, saw palmetto should improve many symptoms of enlarged prostate and may even encourage hair growth.

Of course, any potent natural ingredient comes with a risk of negative side effects. What side effects does saw palmetto cause? And do they outweigh its positive effects? Let’s examine saw palmetto side effects in men, both the good and the not-so-good, to determine its efficacy.

Saw Palmetto: The Positive Side Effects for Men

One quality in favor of saw palmetto as a male supplement ingredient is its multiple established uses. Saw palmetto is most commonly used by men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), which is the medical term for a noncancerous enlarged prostate.[2] However, saw palmetto benefits several other common male health issues, including erection issues and baldness.

1. Shrinks Prostate Lining

During puberty, DHT exposure encourages cells in the prostate gland to grow and multiply rapidly. While this is necessary to mature the prostate in young men, as men age DHT keeps stimulating prostate cell growth unnecessarily. Consequently, doctors believe DHT is a major contributor to enlarged prostate.[3]

At least one saw palmetto study showed this extract shrinks the actual prostate gland.[4] But, most saw palmetto studies conclude it actually shrinks prostate lining, not the gland itself.[5]

For instance, one study measured changes in men’s prostate tissues after 6 months taking 320 mg saw palmetto per day. Saw palmetto reduced swelling in prostate epithelium, the inner lining of the prostate gland which surrounds the urethra.[6]

Interestingly, researchers concluded these effects occurred without altering testosterone or DHT levels. Nevertheless, scientists believe shrinking prostate lining is a reliable positive side effect of saw palmetto.

2. Improves Urination

When saw palmetto shrinks prostate lining, the most pronounced effects are an improvement in urinary flow speed and a reduced need to urinate frequently at night. These are also two of the most common symptoms of BPH, and they often decrease quality of life greatly.

Saw palmetto trials produce mixed results on urinary flow. In one study, a 320 mg daily dose saw palmetto reduced need for middle-of-the-night bathroom trips by 45% and increased urine flow rate by 50%.[7] But, another study using an identical dosage showed no difference between saw palmetto and placebo.[8]

Despite these mixed results, many scientists promote saw palmetto as the most effective natural treatment for urinary symptoms related to enlarged prostate.[9] Some studies even conclude saw palmetto improves these symptoms nearly as well as the prescription medication Finasteride.[10]

3. Decrease Erection Problems Associated with Enlarged Prostate

Unfortunately, enlarged prostate also contributes somewhat to erectile dysfunction. Luckily, saw palmetto has the potential to improve erectile function.[11] This gives saw palmetto an advantage over many enlarged prostate medications, which can worsen erectile dysfunction.[3]

In a 2012 study, 82 men took 320 mg saw palmetto daily for 8 weeks. At the end of the study, sexual function scores improved by almost 10 points on a standardized assessment scale.[12]

However, not all men experience improved erections after taking saw palmetto.[1] Still, these results are encouraging for men whose enlarged prostate affects their sexual performance.

4. Reduce Male Pattern Baldness

Lastly, saw palmetto offers hope to men suffering from male pattern baldness, particularly young men who don’t want the sexual side effects of prescription treatments.

Two trials show saw palmetto produces results for a significant percentage of men. After 2 years of 320 mg saw palmetto, 38% of men in one study had increased hair growth.[13] In another study, 60% of men responded to treatment with improved hair growth.[14]

These results indicate saw palmetto isn’t a magic bullet against male pattern baldness. But, saw palmetto may be a good first option to utilize before trying more drastic methods to decrease baldness.

Potential Negative Side Effects of Saw Palmetto

Knowing saw palmetto produces numerous benefits, you may be surprised to learn it’s associated with very few side effects.

The most common saw palmetto side effects are gastrointestinal issues. These include upset stomach, vomiting, constipation, or diarrhea.[5] However, in many saw palmetto studies, side effects occurred just as commonly in those taking the placebo as those taking saw palmetto.[7]

Because saw palmetto likely acts as a 5-alpha-aromatase inhibitor, men sometimes experience side effects related to alterations in sex hormone levels. Shifts in testosterone and DHT can result in lowered libido, testicular discomfort, and greater difficulty producing an erection.[1] Similarly, saw palmetto is known to have some anti-estrogen effects.[15]

Other side effects attributed to saw palmetto include headache and dizziness.[5]

Saw palmetto possibly increases risk of bleeding, especially in those with bleeding disorders or who are on anti-coagulant medications. For this reason, experts recommend being cautious about taking saw palmetto before surgery or dental work.[1]

Saw Palmetto’s Side Effects: The Bottom Line for Men

Because years of research haven’t revealed any major side effects caused by saw palmetto, this plant extract seems like a good option for men who want to reduce symptoms of enlarged prostate or male pattern baldness.

To make sure you get the most effective saw palmetto extracts, look for fat-soluble saw palmetto extracts because they absorb best.[1] And, be sure to verify any saw palmetto extract contains beta sitosterol, the saw palmetto extract component which promotes prostate health.[16]

References

Comments (10)

Edwin Bafte Sajo

December 23, 2014

ORDERING SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT

I have been diagnosed with prostrate enlargement and on most nights, I have painful urination. I have seen the side effects of taking avodat and other medicines. In view of this, I want to place order for the SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT which I could take for a period of six months to help me.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

July 28, 2017

how dr john help me

HOW DR.JOHN HELP ME TO MAKE MY PENIS INCREASE IN 10 INCHES LONG CONTACT WHATS APP me :+19149997847 NEW
      by: John Austin

I’m Here to tell people over the world how Dr.john is real herbalist that we help you in any situation problem…my testimony is about a herbalist Doctor called Dr.john I was heartbroken because i had a very SMALL PENIS, not big enough to satisfy a Woman, i have been in so many relationship,but cut off because of my situation, i have used so many product which doctors prescribe for me, but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments on the internet about this specialist called Dr.john and decided to email him on his email i saw on the internet, (Drjohnenlargementhome@gmail.com) so I decided to give his herbal medicine a try. i emailed him and he got back to me, he gave me some comforting words with his herbal medicine for Penis Enlargement,Within 2 week of it, i began to feel the Enlargement of my penis, “and now it just 3 weeks of using his herbal medicine my Penis is about 10 inches longer, and i had to settle out with my Ex (Girlfriend) i was surprised when she said that she is satisfied with my sex and i have got a large penis,Am so happy..email him to help you too.his WhatsApp number:+2348060259313
      he also specialize on the following things

Permanent penis enlargement
      Thick penis
      Bigger penis head
      Improved force and intensity
      Boosted semen quantity
      Effective erections
      Cures and prevents impotence
      Have multiple orgasms
      Ends Early ejaculation
      Increased stamina
      Best regard
      JOHN AUSTIN

vk

July 21, 2016

DO NOT take this herb if you want to preserve your manhood

This stupid herb nearly destroyed my life. DONT EVER mess with your DHT by any means even natural methods unless you want to go impotent

July 29, 2016

Agreed

Yes I myself felt the same when i used to take this herb, it reduced my sex drive…

September 18, 2016

What did you do?

Hi there. If you say it nearly messed you up, what did you do to reverse any damage? Not sure if I am noticing problems but my sleep is not good ?? Best !

October 16, 2016

Jwinklrg@yahoo.com

What happened and was it reversible?

Henry

December 5, 2016

henripollard@gmail.com

I have been using this product for less than (2), two weeks now, and I am experiencing difficulties sleeping. I see here, from another post, I am not alone with my sleep deprivation!!

June 10, 2017

Dont take saw palmetto

I took saw palmetto once in the morning and once at night. Then stopped because it made me feel sick. After 4 days I still feel sick intermtantly. Any way to stop this feeling? Will it wear off?

Bob Van

December 14, 2016

Prostate Health

I have been taking Saw Palmetto 450 MGS twice a day. I am 67. It is by the Sundown Corp.
    For a year, I have taken this product. I think it is worthless. I had to result in going to a Urologist for the many peeing trips in a 24 hour period. I take Tamsulosin twice a day to help urine flow, and oxybutynin er 10 MG once a day, For urine urgency to pee. The OXYBUTNIN is helping. The Tamsulosin is SO SO. I have been having this problem for 4 years. Taking all those advertised prostate products is dangerous and most are worthless. See a Urologist if it is becoming a bathroom problem.

Bob Van

December 14, 2016

Prostate Health

I had a friend who had his prostate removed entirely. His prostate was removed because of cancer cells. Needless to say. He has a fair sex life and no bathroom trips. The prostate regulates something in the body. I have yet to discover what it regulates. Without Tamsilosin and OXYBUTYNIN ER 10 MG per day. I would have no life. Before these drugs, I had to pee all day long constantly. My Urologist has yet to fix the problem, I have had this peeing problem for 4 years.

ricky t

January 25, 2017

saw palmetto

i have been taking the herb at my doctors advise, for the most part i am not running to the bathroom often and even at night, i have very little urgency issues but i have had them. i have had exams by my doctor things seem to be alright, my big problem is ED,

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Octavia Raposo

July 23, 2017

http://www.rvparky.com/search?l=7407 Alvarado Road, La Mesa, California

My wife had been to the Facial Mania Spa & Wellness with several of her friends and told me how nice it is, so for our 15th anniversary we spent the day at the spa. It exceeded my expectations in every way! We arrived a bit early for our noon appointment and they showed us around the facilities. http://www.facialmaniaspa.com Take a look for yourself, you wont regret it!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Peggy A. Leen

July 28, 2017

Great comment, i’m goign to post it on my blog at leagle.com

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Daniel Bogden

July 28, 2017

Awesome post, i’m going to share this with my followers on instagram @leagle

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Daniel Bogden

July 28, 2017

I love this blog post, i’m going to tweet it on my leagle account

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Daniel Bogden

July 28, 2017

perfect post, you couldn’t have explained it better im gonna add it to my website leagle.com

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Peggy A. Leen

July 28, 2017

I love this blog post, i’m going to tweet it on my leagle account

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Daniel Bogden

July 28, 2017

I wish i could write a post so great, i’m going to share it on the company facebook page checkout leagle.com

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Peggy A. Leen

July 28, 2017

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

e liquid

August 2, 2017

Great blog post, i’m going to retweet it and link it on my blog. My site sells great ejuices at low prices

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

mr edison

August 11, 2017

solution to all problems

hello everyone. I was heartbroken because i had very small penis, not nice to satisfy a woman, i had so many relationship called off because of my situation, i have used so many product which i found online but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments about this specialist called Dr.mudia and I decided to email him on: drmudiaspellhome@yahoo.com so I decided to give his herbal product a try. i emailed him and he got back to me, he gave me some comforting words with his herbal pills for Penis Enlargement, Within 3 days of it, i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, ” and now it just 1 weeks of using his products my penis is about 8 inches longer and strong and he also help women too. I’m so happy..feel free to contact Dr. mudia on his Email: drmudiaspellhome@yahoo.com or his whats app number +2347036997068
    the following things
    HIP/BUM ENLARGEMENT
    BREAST ENLARGEMENT
    BREAST LIFT & REDUCTION
    PENILE/PENIS ENLARGEMENT
    GENERAL BODY SLIMMING
    HIPS & THIGH REDUCTION.and any other issue you have
    Thanks for the Enlarging my penis sir, you indeed save my marriage…I am really grateful sir