We Have The Answers You're Looking For

Need Answers?
Check out our FAQs page
Returning Items
See returning instructions

D-Aspartic Acid Side Effects

Are They Real? Discover What Researchers and Reviewers Say

Low libido, erectile dysfunction, fatigue, diminished muscle growth, and fat gain are just a few side effects of low testosterone. Seeking a solution, many men turn to testosterone injections, patches, and gels.

However, these synthetic, prescription remedies are often accompanied by their own unique side effects: priapism, prostate enlargement, gynecomastia, acne, baldness, and liver damage.

Fortunately, D-aspartic acid is said to naturally increase testosterone production and release. Consequently, more and more men turn to D-aspartic acid, believing it boosts testosterone without causing side effects.

However, rumors started trickling in that D-aspartic acid actually does cause side effects. So, what is the truth?

The Alleged Side Effects of D-Aspartic Acid

Many D-aspartic acid side effect rumors originated in forums and product reviews. While many users said they didn’t have any problems while using D-aspartic acid, some users claimed the following side effects:

• Acne
  • Headache
  • Diarrhea
  • Mood Swings
  • Depression

These side effects were generally mild and often temporary.

The problem is most users didn’t specify whether D-aspartic acid was the only ingredient or if the supplement contained others. If other ingredients were used, who can rightly say D-aspartic acid caused the side effects?

What Do Researchers Say About Side Effects?

D-Aspartic Acid Side Effects - eSupplements.com

Fortunately, researchers are more informed on D-aspartic acid side effects than athletes and bodybuilders.

For example, acne is a condition with many triggers including diet, hormone levels, and overall health. Supposing D-aspartic acid boosts testosterone, it might cause a hormonal imbalance and increase the likelihood of breakouts. But so far, there’s no proof high testosterone levels cause acne.[1]

Headaches and diarrhea are even more difficult to pin on D-aspartic acid because they have so many causes (e.g. illness, dehydration, and diet). Headache and diarrhea also may occur when a supplement user takes large dosages of any ingredient. If the body adjusts and develops tolerance, the side effects typically stop.

Similarly, mood swings are also attributed to D-aspartic acid use. D-aspartic acid converts into NMDA,[2] which may increase homocysteine levels.[3] As homocysteine levels rise, NMDA receptors become more active, which leads to mood swings and depression.[4] Luckily, these side effects can be countered by reducing homocysteine levels with folic acid or betaine.[5][6]

Side Effects in the Clinical Studies

To date, two human clinical studies have tested D-aspartic acid — one lasting 90-days and the other 12 days.

In the 90-day study, participants took 2,660 mg D-aspartic acid every day. Researchers regularly measured the participants’ electrolytes, glucose, urea, enzymes, creatinine, and blood cells and found no abnormalities. In addition, the participants didn’t experience significant side effects.[7]

Additionally, no side effects were reported during the 12-day study when participants took 3,000 mg daily.[8]

Many animal studies tested D-aspartic acid and found it causes some side effects.[9][10][11] However, the most reliable information about D-aspartic acid’s effects comes from human studies. Animal study results might apply or they might not.

Benefits of D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)

Researchers weren’t just testing D-aspartic acid’s safety when they conducted clinical studies. They wanted to know if D-aspartic acid boosts testosterone and enhances fertility.

Men taking D-aspartic acid during the 90-day study dramatically improved sperm count and motility. As a result, they became more fertile and pregnancies increased among their partners.[7]

D-Aspartic Acid Side Effects - eSupplements.com

After taking D-aspartic acid for 12 days, participants increased lutheinizing hormone and testosterone levels by 33% and 42%, respectively.[8] These are just a few benefits of high testosterone levels:

• Greater muscle growth and strength
  • Fat loss
  • Better sleep quality
  • High libido
  • Positive mood
  • More Energy

The Bottom Line

So, does D-aspartic acid cause side effects?

According to researchers, D-aspartic acid might cause acne, headaches, diarrhea, mood swings, and depression. But there’s not enough evidence to pin D-aspartic acid as the guilty party.

Study participants didn’t experience any significant side effects or health problems. However, they did experience D-aspartic acid’s benefits: increased testosterone levels and fertility.

If you want to boost testosterone without an expensive, potentially-dangerous prescription product, D-aspartic acid is a natural, clinically proven alternative.

References

Comments (41)

Troy R. Hansen

June 8, 2013

which product would you recommend?

Mike, great article. I’ve been debating on taking d-aspartic acid as a test booster and came across this article. If you don’t mind me asking, which product would you recommend as a test booster that has a sufficient amount of d-aspartic acid to see quick results? thanks

June 11, 2013

Re: which product would you recommend?

Troy, that’s a great question and thanks for reaching out to me. I would say the best D-Aspartic acid testosterone booster I’ve seen is Syntheroid. You get 1,560 mg of D-Aspartic in each serving, which is three times as much as you get with most testosterone boosters. And Syntheroid also has some other great ingredients that also make a difference for quick results. I hope that helps and we’d love for you to leave a review if you do give it a try.

May 12, 2015

daa

Anabolic freak relatively cheap within a WK Uall be lifting more and recovery is is cool

December 24, 2015

Love d-aspartic acid

I use the pure test with the pct black. I love it made by feniflex. Use to be a big part of when I came off a pro hormone cycle.

March 12, 2016

Good so far.

I’ve been using D-aspartic acid for about a week now & can already see increased libido & energy. I only use 1/8 tsp per day, first thing in the morning after breakfast. Being in my 50’s now, I am very happy to find this product. I say go for it! (remember to not use too much though, just a tiny amount).

Nic Bernier

November 8, 2013

Side effects

So there is a chance for side effects, but because the sample sizes were so small in each study we wouldn’t be able to say for sure. A small sample size can mean a larger chance for error. The effect can very from person to person, so you may get above or below average results and mild to more intense side effects, you just have to judge that for yourself. I would like to see a larger scale study conducted to support the encouraging evidence. Remember these studies support but don’t 100% percent prove anything, as any researcher would tell you.

Emmanuel

December 18, 2013

Recommended product

I used a product called Terminus which is suppose to be a testosterone booster to enhance my workouts I was blown away as I was able to workout up to 6 days a week given that recovery was enhanced along with productivity in the gym, after a few days of using it soreness was very minimal! I highly suggest this product!

David Dressler, BA, RMT

January 12, 2014

Testosterone Booster

Anything that boosts testosterone can cause acne! This is well known, the cited study aside. Anything that boosts testosterone, particularly in an older person, can produce a rise in estrogen. Estrogen is a carcinogen in men (not testosterone, as erroneously thought previously, except in men who already have cancer). Expect a rise in estrogen when taking anything designed to raise testosterone. Blood tests for testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, DHEA-S, DHT and SHBG should be taken. The 12-day experiment that found a testosterone rise and no side effects is not long enough to track hormonal changes. The 90-day experiment would have some value from that perspective. However, from what the article above said, neither experiment tested all the necessary hormone levels to establish whether or not they were balanced! How absurd. It has to be understood that raising a hormone level (testosterone) MUST cause changes in all the other steroid hormones. There is no doubt about this. This comes from one simple fact: all steroid hormones are made from cholesterol that is converted into pregnenalone and from there into the other steroid hormones including testosterone. The entire network of hormones has to be assessed as to level and relative balance one to the other. This requires a very skilled functional medical doctor, not merely an endocrinologist who merely looks at whether each hormone is within so-called “age-normal range”. And we mere mortals can’t expect to raise testosterone without upsetting the balance of the other hormones; so, we should be testing to see what introducing any testosterone source does. By the way, bioidentical testosterone is relatively safe and not to be feared in men over 40.

Alan Schwartz

January 14, 2014

Aspartic acid (aspartate)is likely to be dangerous

Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, recently published a book thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid (about 99 percent of monosodium glutamate or MSG is glutamic acid) in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.

Aspartate and glutamate act as neurotransmitters in the brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate or glutamate in the brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into the cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill the cells. The neural cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate and glutamate is why they are referred to as “excitotoxins.” They “excite” or stimulate the neural cells to death.

Aspartic acid is an amino acid. Taken in its free form (unbound to proteins), it significantly raises the blood plasma level of aspartate and glutamate. The excess aspartate and glutamate in the blood plasma shortly after ingesting aspartame or products with free glutamic acid (glutamate precursor) leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of the brain.

The blood brain barrier (BBB), which normally protects the brain from excess glutamate and aspartate as well as toxins, 1) is not fully developed during childhood, 2) does not fully protect all areas of the brain, 3) is damaged by numerous chronic and acute conditions, and 4) allows seepage of excess glutamate and aspartate into the brain even when intact.

The excess glutamate and aspartate slowly begin to destroy neurons. The large majority (75 percent or more) of neural cells in a particular area of the brain are killed before any clinical symptoms of a chronic illness are noticed. A few of the many chronic illnesses that have been shown to be contributed to by long-term exposure to excitatory amino acid damage include:

Multiple sclerosis (MS) Parkinson’s disease
    ALS Hypoglycemia
    Memory loss AIDS
    Hormonal problems Dementia
    Epilepsy Brain lesions
    Alzheimer’s disease Neuroendocrine disorders

The risk to infants, children, pregnant women, the elderly and persons with certain chronic health problems from excitotoxins are great. Even the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), which usually understates problems and mimics the FDA party-line, recently stated in a review that:

“It is prudent to avoid the use of dietary supplements of L-glutamic acid by pregnant women, infants, and children. The existence of evidence of potential endocrine responses, i.e., elevated cortisol and prolactin, and differential responses between males and females, would also suggest a neuroendocrine link and that supplemental L-glutamic acid should be avoided by women of childbearing age and individuals with affective disorders.”

Aspartic acid from aspartame has the same deleterious effects on the body as glutamic acid.

The exact mechanism of acute reactions to excess free glutamate and aspartate is currently being debated. As reported to the FDA, those reactions include:

aspartame effect
    Headaches/migraines Fatigue (blocks sufficient glucose entry into brain) Anxiety attacks
    Nausea Sleep problems Depression
    Abdominal pains Vision problems Asthma/chest tightness
    One common complaint of persons suffering from the effect of aspartame is memory loss. Ironically, in 1987, G.D. Searle, the manufacturer of aspartame, undertook a search for a drug to combat memory loss caused by excitatory amino acid damage. Blaylock is one of many scientists and physicians who are concerned about excitatory amino acid damage caused by ingestion of aspartame and MSG.

A few of the many experts who have spoken out against the damage being caused by aspartate and glutamate include Adrienne Samuels, Ph.D., an experimental psychologist specializing in research design. Another is Olney, a professor in the department of psychiatry, School of Medicine, Washington University, a neuroscientist and researcher, and one of the world’s foremost authorities on excitotoxins. (He informed Searle in 1971 that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of mice.)

March 12, 2016

Moderation is the Key.

Moderation is the key. I only use 1/8 tsp per day for a couple of weeks, then skip a week. Is this enough to do me some harm?

Micheal Pattock

February 9, 2014

testosterone

Right now my doc got me on testosterone shoots watch carefully by the doc but to get the total test up would it be ok or wise to take d-aparatic acid while on the test shoot ? Becausemy free test is 25 from 30 but my total is 131 any heads up I am really how much what about supplements but just been contemplating this.

February 11, 2014

Re:testosterone

Hi Micheal, If you are already doing prescribed testosterone treatments that your doctor is monitoring carefully, my advice would be to not put anything in your body that manipulates your hormone levels without getting your doctor’s opinion first. Your doc is going to have the most insight for your specific situation. Wish I could be more help!

Michael M.

March 11, 2014

DAA Danger?

I have to say, the talk out there that DAA can cause all kinds of serious brain/neuro problems is scary. The exitotoxin theory. Does anyone know how likely DAA is to be dangerous?

Jack K

April 23, 2014

Anyone to comment on Blaylock's report?

Can anyone (that knows), comment on Blaylock’s report. It sounds like he was motivated by a anti-aspartame feeling..but I just don’t know. Is his finding relevant to guys taking D-Aspartic Acid? After all there are two kinds of Aspartic Acid…L-Aspartic Acid and D-Aspartic acid.
    I have been taking this sup…and would like to have better (or more) information …if there is some good knowledge to be shared on this …before I might damage myself.
    This points out to one of the sad thing about spending money and taking supplements…often the consumer either wastes money…or even worse..hurts their body..
    JK

Craig

July 2, 2014

Russel Blaylock info

Dr. Blaylock has retired from neurosurgery and has launched himself onto the frontlines AGAINST science. He has published opinions (read not-fact) that vaccines cause ALS, that vaccine additives cause Gulf War Syndrome (despite the fact that the additive in question was never given to service men) and that aspartame (not d-aspartic acid) cause brain damage. He also believes that the ACA was created by an extragovernmental entity that will lead to euthanasia death panels, that flouride in the water is part of a mind control plot, and that Obama is planning to use forced vaccination to bring about the New World Order.

The guy is a tin-foil-hat wearing nutcase.
    Don’t believe me? He is a regular contributor to Alex Jones’s Infowars: http://www.infowars.com/infowars-com-saves-lives-dr-russell-blaylock-exposes-medical-genocide/

I will pass on his “research”

Of course, he sells his own products which are supposed to “repair” the damage caused by all of the evil conspiracy serums that big money folks done poisoned us with…derp derp derp.

Ron

August 18, 2014

Dietary d aspartic acid

Can eating foods high in d aspartic acid daily at high levels substitute for supplements ? There are plenty of foods out there high in add. What do you think ?

Mike Williams

October 10, 2014

Respond to the Scientism of 'craig"

Craig..I will not waste my time trying to correct everything you wrote.
    You reference the sceptic site which is just a yes sir site for “consensus views and big pharma”.
    But if ad hominems and appeals to authority are all you have..
    In regards to Squalene..(which you mischievously didnt mention by name If it was never used..then how come some personnel can have anti bodies to it.
    Next time..just do some research …

liam

November 14, 2014

DAA

At what age can you start taking DAA?

Ronnie

December 27, 2014

Is it ok

Ran across this article after my Uncle gave me some D-aspartic acid for Christmas. I would say my test levels are pretty normal. I work out recreational about 3-5 times a week. My question is if I take this stuff and it boosts my T levels, after I am done taking it will my levels go back to normal? or will i have to keep taking some sort of supplement to get it back to normal?

James Bryson

January 14, 2015

Good for this old man

I am 61 years old and get an energy and mood boost on days I use the pure DAA, 3 grams first thing in the morning before breakfast. According to my blood work, it did cause a rise in my T from off-the-chart low to low normal. Got a similar improvement from T-shots but had to quit them due to urine hesitation. I doubt if a person with normal levels would notice any difference, but I appreciate what it does for me at my job during the day (better focus and productivity). Weight training at night: steady progress about the same as prior to supplement. Still have to be careful what I eat.

Furiofly

January 19, 2015

Headache

for me the study was simple: after a week on DAA i couldn’t open my eyes without the headache. Interesting is that i was only on DAA at the moment and the headaches stopped as soon as I stopped taking DAA. Conclusion yes it does cause a headache in some people.

john hills

February 5, 2015

been on this daily for 8 weeks.

Using this as part of my newly started weightlifting routine. 49 years old I have gained 14 pounds in 8 weeks and dropped 2 pant sizes from 38- to a tight 34.

I noticed my testicles went from my normal (lg) to (xl) and my libido is like when I was 25 again. Might be a combo of other aminos I am taking also but I like what is happening!

Dennis

March 19, 2015

Use caution with this stuff.

I have been hitting the gym hard for nearly 4 months, going 5 days a week working on cardio, muscle and general strength. I’ve used numerous supplements and vitamins to aid in muscle recovery and gain.

Not to long ago I purchased testogenx under the Ronnie Coleman series. These pills contain the D-asperic acid. After taking the correct dosage for 8 days I noticed my self having panic attacks, extreme episodes of depression and extreme anxiety. I felt as if life it self had no meaning and would nearly cry myself to sleep. Luckily when I take a new workout product I take it alone for the first few weeks to make sure it melds with my body correctly. On the back of this test booster it warns of these effects. It has been three days since I’ve had any and am feeling better and more like myself.

I issue a warning with this type of product, be careful and stay safe. It doesn’t matter the gains if it messes with our minds.

July 30, 2016

DAA and Mental Disorders

D-Aspartic Acid acts as an agonist at the brains NMDA receptors, which means that it turns them on to become more active. These receptors are now being studied for their role in serious mental illnesses. Some people with these conditions are helped by NMDA agonists while others are helped by NMDA antagonists, which does just the opposite of an agonist. Yes, you are right to be careful with these substances if you notice any drastic changes in mood or thought patterns.

cobra

August 15, 2015

d-aspartic acid

I used muscletech’s Anotest, and received nothing but the squirts, so any and everyone, feel free to reply

David

September 4, 2015

Ok for Me 49yo

Been taking Testogen XR for roughly 3 months, 7 days on , then a few days off, i train twice a week, but wanted to boost my Testosterone to see any improvements, at first i got the sh!ts, but almost immediately i started to notice better mood, more energy, libido increase, better and quicker brain function..im happy with it. I still eat lean meats and good diet, but for me i feel like i am 25 again.. would be interested to know about the research about aspartic accid causing MS etc …any scientific proof of this, example of people taking it and turning into vegetables, ..if proof could be provided ..for sure id stop using, but for now i feel like a new guy.

John

October 4, 2015

Really?

Uh, no. D-aspartic acid MIGHT increase your testosterone if testing shows you have low Leutenizing Hormone (LH). It has been shown to increase LH which then might help with the T.

Get yourself tested. If your LH is normal, skip the D-aspartic acid.

Rob

October 9, 2015

D Aspartic

Can any one tell me the difference from Aspartic acid and D Aspartic Acid

October 9, 2015

Re: D Aspartic

D-Aspartic Acid is one of the amino acid forms of Aspartic Acid, the other form being L-Aspartic Acid. Aspartic Acid is just the generic label given. The differences between D-Aspartic Acid and L-Aspartic Acid are found in their structure and function. D-Aspartic Acid is found in small amounts in adults which aids in the function of the brain and the production of hormones. L-Aspartic Acid is plentiful within the body and aids in the synthesizing of proteins and ammonia detoxification.

Sass Palmer

January 2, 2016

Methyl D Aspartic Acid - Female

Hey Mike, I responded extremely well to Ostarine on a cycle duration of 8 weeks @ 12.5mg Daily. I’ve thought about LGD-4033 after my ‘pct’ (no, girls don’t really apply to this) but I came across a stack by Focused Nutrition called ‘Elite Sarm Stack’ and it boasts:
    Osta 12.5
    LDG 15 mg
    GW 10 mg
    Methyl D aspartic acid 10 mg

Is the D-aspartic acid something I should be concerned about as a female?

January 5, 2016

Re: Methyl D Aspartic Acid - Female

Unfortunately, research on the effects of D-Aspartic Acid on the female body is extremely limited. A few studies show that in women D-Aspartic Acid occurs in the ovaries and with age, levels decrease. It has also been found to play a role in the secretion of luteinizing hormone. My advice to you is that you talk to your doctor about possible effects before use.

Eric

January 19, 2016

Effects on cholesterol

Years ago I took test at varying doses. I had a heart attack due to cholesterol and my blood being too thick. Is DAA a good alternative? I’m assuming that it will not have the adverse effects that test did since it’s increasing indigenous testosterone. Anyone with experience with this?

TG

January 27, 2016

Where'e the science

I really wish that all these so called testosterone booster supplements would be tested by FDA…Every one’s putting all this crap into their systems. All marketing hype….

October 1, 2016

No Fed

I would not put my confidence in any US government regulatory organization.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

November 26, 2016

Double Down on No Fed

Asking for an official FDA test and expecting honest/unbiased results, is about reliable as another Fed. Regulatory Agency(USDA), saying that spraying glyphosate(aka Round Up) on agriculture products that we eat…poses no threat to human health. I think I’ll pass on an FDA test!

Will

February 7, 2016

D-AA gave me mild depression.

Took 3 grams first time and felt mild depression about 30 min after dosing until 4 or 5 hours later. Other than that, balls became much more plump, sex drive up, a lot of energy and clarity of thought.

Ollie

June 12, 2016

Worried

I have just started taking D-Aspartic acid – the label says to take one to two scoops – provided in the container – with 6-10 ounces of water – I only take one scoop – and in my juicer I take two scoops with other wonderful ingredients.
    Reading what other men take, I seem to be going overboard.
    Are there any more studies done on this? – I don’t want to poison myself

June 13, 2016

Re: Worried

Check the warnings of the product label of your D-Aspartic Acid. Supplements provide specific directions for their products that offer the most potent but safe amount on their label that may not apply to other supplements. If it says, take 1-2 scoops, check to see if that’s 1-2 scoops once a day or twice a day. Also, make sure to look at the warning label as it may say do not exceed a certain number of scoops in a day. If you experience any negative side effects, discontinue your use and talk to your physician.

SEAN

June 30, 2016

How is Prima force DAA?

Hi mike!
    I’m 40. With Diabetes & Hypertension. Total serum testosterone was 287.
    Friend suggested DAA to increase Testosterone Naturally.
    Just bought Primeforce DAA.
    how good is this?

July 1, 2016

Re: How is Prima force DAA?

The efficacy of any supplement is dependent on your body and its ability to process product formulas. As far as PrimaForce DAA goes, many consumers have seen positive effects such as faster recovery, restful sleep, and a boost in testosterone levels. It is highly recommended that you talk to your physician before use especially if you are taking medication.

doug gerard

July 30, 2016

D-Aspartic Acid vs L-Aspartic Acid

I read somewhere on the internet that D-Aspartic Acid doesn’t affect estrogen at all…the culprit is L-Aspartic Acid which would be the other enantiomer. So we should be ok taking it.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Jenelle

September 20, 2016

Side Effects of Testosterone

I have been suffering from testosterone side effects. Can you help me regarding my problems. I have already consulted with EffectsHelp.com but i need to cross check about the solution. If you know any doctor or any specialist or if you can help me that will be great for me.

Phil

October 1, 2016

D-aspartic acid and diarrhea

After taking a recommended dose of d-aspartic acid at 6 am on an empty stomach, it was apparent by 10 am, my digestive tract wasn’t enamoured. It wasn’t just a dribble from a leaky faucet, it was a bloody fire hose!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

kev

November 5, 2016

D-aspheric acid

Does this effect the liver in any way?

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Gino Langanke

November 15, 2016

Whats up very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also? I'm glad to seek out a lot of useful info here in the put up, we want develop extra strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . . lords mobile wiki http://optimegasystem.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=6831

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four e-mails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service? Bless you! lords mobile shielding tips

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

corburterilio

November 27, 2016

Some truly wonderful work on behalf of the owner of this internet site, perfectly great subject material. http://www.corburterilio.com/

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem with your site in internet explorer, would test this… IE still is the market leader and a big portion of people will miss your fantastic writing because of this problem.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Larry Center

December 1, 2016

Ed Reverser Review http://kisalt.io/ReverseEDForGood11395

Great Job

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

corburt erilio

December 4, 2016

I?¦m now not positive where you are getting your info, however good topic. I must spend some time studying more or figuring out more. Thanks for excellent info I used to be searching for this info for my mission. http://www.corburterilio.com/

I got what you intend,saved to bookmarks, very decent site.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Kajal Aggarwal

December 4, 2016

Properly worded post will probably be sharing this with my readers this evening http://ibbye.in

Wohh exactly what I was looking for, regards for putting up.