June 10, 2013
A product of the amino acid arginine, agmatine is sometimes overshadowed by its popular big brother. However, agmatine is emerging as a powerful supplement in its own right, boasting several unique and specific physical benefits.
Labeled the “Holy Grail of Supplements” by writers at BodyBuilding.com, there’s little agmatine can’t do—at least if you believe supporters.
Here’s a more specific look at agmatine benefits backed by solid scientific and anecdotal evidence.
-  Morrissey, J.J. and S. Klahr. 1997. Agmatine activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells. Europe PubMed Central: Vol. 109, Issue 1.
-  Bezaitis, Athan. 18 February 2009. How Nitric Oxide Maintains Health. USC News.
-  Bloomer, Richard J., Tyler M. Farney, John F. Trepanowski, Cameron G. McCarthy, Robert E. Canale, and Brian K. Schilling. 2010. Comparison of pre-workout nitric oxide stimulating dietary supplements on skeletal muscle oxygen saturation, blood nitrate/nitrite, lipid peroxidation, and upper body exercise performance in resistance trained men. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition: Vol. 7, Issue 16.
-  Thomas, T. and T.J. Thomas. 2001. Polyamines in cell growth and cell death: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic applications. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences: Vol. 58, Issue 2.
-  Li, Y.F., Z.H. Gong, J.B. Cao, H.L. Wang, Z.P. Luo, and J. Li. 2003. Antidepressant-like effect of agmatine and its possible mechanism: European Journal of Pharmacology: Vol. 469, 1-3.
-  Matthews, D.E., G. Pesola, and R.G. Campbell. 1990. Effect of epinephrine on amino acid and energy metabolism in humans. The American Journal of Physiology: Vol. 258, 948-956.
-  Meeusen, R., J. Roeykens, L. Magnus, H. Keizer, and K. De Meirleir. 1997. Endurance performance in humans: the effect of a dopamine precursor or a specific serotonin (5-HT2A/2C) antagonist. International Journal of Sports Medicine: Vol. 18, Issue 8.
-  Zomkowski, Andrea, Luciana Hammes, Jaime Lin, Joao Batista Calixto, Adair Roberto S. Santos, and Ana Lucia S. Rodrigues. 2012. Agmatine produces antidepressant-like effects in two models of depression in mice. Neuroreport: Vol. 13, Issue 4.
-  Su. C.H., I.M. Liu, H.H. Chung, and J.T. Cheng. 2009. Activation of I2-imidazoline receptors by agmatine improved insulin sensitivity through two mechanisms in type-2 diabetic rats. Neuroscience Letters: Vol. 457, Issue 3.
-  Park, Y.M., W.T. Lee, K.K. Bokara, S.K. Seo, S.H. Park, J.H. Kim, M.A. Yenari, K.A. Park, and J.E. Lee. 2013. The multifaceted effects of agmatine on functional recovery after spinal cord injury through modulations of BMP-2/4/7 expressions in neurons and glial cells. PLoS One: Vol. 8, Issue 1.
-  Longecity.org. 24 July 2010. Agmatine, anybody try this one?
- . Primaforce.com. 2013. Agmatine.